Anatomy & Physiology Honors
Welcome to Anatomy & Physiology Honors! Please read through all the policies and expectations for the course and return the attached signature sheet.
Materials: Students will need to bring the following to class each day:
· Three-ring binder or notebook with pockets to organize class papers (for use in anatomy only!)
· Notebook paper or a spiral that will fit into the binder
· Black or Blue pens
· #2 Pencils
These items are essential for the successful completion of this course.
1. Grading will be done on a point scale. Your grade will be determined from points based on:
a. Major Assessments (25%) – A minimum of two days notice will be given before any major evaluation.
b. Laboratory Assignments (25%) – You will receive grades for laboratory technique, procedure, conduct, observance of lab rules, and lab write-ups.
c. Final Assessment (20%) - Final exams will be given each semester.
d. Quizzes (15%) – Periodic quizzes will be given in class to check the students’ understanding of the covered material.
e. Homework (15%) – Homework is assigned to assist in the learning process, provide opportunity for practice and questions, and to help the teacher assess student progress. Homework assignments will be collected at the beginning of the period on the due date.
The following grading scale will be used in this class:
100 – 90 = A
89 – 80 = B
79 – 70 = C
69 – 60 = D
Less that 60 = F
Excused Absences - If you are absent, it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to make up any missed assignments, tests, and/or quizzes. You should check with the teacher at a convenient time to receive your missed assignments and arrange a due date. Arrangements must be made with your instructor the day you return to school to make up missed tests and quizzes.
A student with an excused absence has one school day for each day absent to make up missed work, unless other arrangements have been made with the teacher.
Late Work – Late work will be accepted within the six-week grading period, but will be subject to a loss of credit. (10% loss of credit for each day late)
Cheating – Cheating will not be tolerated. Students that have been found to be cheating will be disciplined as stated in the student’s handbook.
Tardiness – The tardy policy is as stated in the student’s handbook.
Extra Help – Extra help in this course can be obtained before or after school or by making an appointment.
Substitute Teachers – Substitute teachers are guests in our classroom and should be treated with the utmost respect. If your name appears on a negative report, depending on the level of misconduct, you will be issued both a teacher detention and phone call home, or you will be referred to your dean. All classroom policies and expectations are to be followed in the teacher’s absence.
Labs and Activities - For your safety and that of your classmates, it is imperative that all lab directions are followed.
· Proper clothing and safety equipment (goggles and apron) must be worn during lab days.
· Shorts, open-toed shoes, and excessively loose clothing may not be worn during a lab day.
· Students will be informed of lab days at least one day in advance.
· Most importantly, never touch any lab materials and/or specimens in any room until you are instructed to do so.
· Any student who fails to follow directions and/or acts in a manner that is considered dangerous by the teacher, will not be allowed to participate in the lab and will receive a grade of zero for the day. Further disciplinary action may be taken if safety policies continue to be disregarded including removal from the course.
· All safety guidelines are stated in the Flinn Safety Contract that all science students and parent/guardian must read and sign. SAFETY FIRST!
The following expectations for classroom behavior have been designed to eliminate disruption in our science class, and to insure that all students have the opportunity to learn.
I HAVE READ AND UNDERSTAND THE CLASSROOM EXPECTATIONS AND POLICIES. I AGREE TO ABIDE BY THESE, WORK TO THE BEST OF MY ABILITY AND CONDUCT MYSELF IN A PROPER MANNER.
Student Signature/Date Parent/Guardian Signature/Date
Parent/Guardian Comments (if desired):